Mum found son, 9, accidentally hanged in bedroom after going to pack for trip

Mum found son, 9, accidentally hanged in bedroom after going to pack for trip

A child died after a dressing gown cord got wrapped around his neck.

Oliver Lee Johnson went to his room on July 16 and began packing his things ready to go on a camping holiday.

A short while later the nine-year-old was found by his mum Rachael by the bunk bed with a dressing gown cord around his neck, Gazette Live reported.

Along with his granddad Oliver’s mum tried to revive him until the paramedics arrived.

They rushed the unresponsive boy to James Cook University Hospital but he was pronounced dead that evening.

A postmortem ruled the medical cause the young boy’s death was “hypoxic brain injury” following “cardio-respiratory arrest” as a result of hanging.

An inquest at Teeside Coroner’s Court was told that on the day of Oliver’s death, he had gone shopping with his mum, had a meal, and visited his grandparents.

His older brother was also picked up from school and they all went home to pack for the camping trip.

Oliver went upstairs to pack.

His mum went to check on him after he did not return back downstairs.

The youngster was found by the bunk bed in his room with a dressing gown cord around his neck.

The inquest heard that Oliver had no significant past medical history and had no history of mental health issues.

Following his death, Cleveland Police launched an investigation and concluded there was “no third party involvement” and that there was “nothing untoward at home”.

The force said that there was “nothing that would indicate threats of self-harm” either.

Assistant coroner Jo Wharton said Oliver was a “much loved son” and ruled his death as “misadventure”.

gdpu-ukorg